Monday, December 03, 2007

RAIN!!!

I thought some of you may have heard about the state of emergency that has been declared for Kitsap Couty and I just wanted to say that we're just fine here. Despite the fact that we've basically had a hurricane here, Gerry is still going to barbeque chicken tonight!! :-) He wasn't feeling so well this morning and stayed home, which turned out to be fortunate as stretch of Hwy 3 got shut down which would have made for a long drive home for him. We decided to drive around town and see what we could see. Here are some of the more dramatic scenes.

The water in Sinclair Inlet was really high! This was taken an hour after high tide. Thank goodness there was no wind or the swell probably could have caused a lot of damage to docks like the Annapolis dock here. You can also see (kind of) in this picture how brown the water was from all the eroded dirt in the stormwater runoff.
Lots of flooding near houses. I'm glad I don't live here!
And standing water in any low area. This is actually taken from the foundation area of a piece of land that's for sale. Gerry and I have toyed with the idea of buying it. It's good to know that the foundation would be on dry land, even in a catastrophic rain event. Still, I don't know how well I'd sleep with the water creeping into my back yard. Incidentally, the tree covered hill in the distance is where we live.
The water here is pouring out of one yard, across the road, and into another yard. This is taken from the shared driveway of the previous property.
Reed had a good time riding around in his new "cow-moo-flage" car seat. "Check out my new tooth!"

6 comments:

Luke said...

Nice Tooth buddy!

Glad to hear you guys are dry. We got passed over this time just like the last big wind storm last year. Rain/Wind shadow effect.

Marcia Z said...

If only I had checked your blog, I wouldn't needed to call this morning! :) Good thing you own a boat, just in case.

So - how is this going to affect the salmon? Just thought my scientific friends could comment on it. You should see the Tumwater Falls videos! I've got a link on my blog (which I updated today - thanks for the reminder!)

Stay dry, and hugs to everyone!

gerrycammy said...

I think this will ultimately have a negative impact on salmon. All of the dirt that eroded will cover up spawning beds (salmon like to have gravel, not mud to build their nests). It will also suffocate any eggs that have already been laid. I don't know how bad things will be, or how long the effects will last though.

piperem said...

wow! standing with teeth- we are so overdue to have you guys done for dinner! What are you up to next weekend? Love Em and Dave

Courtney said...

Thank you for the update...I was a bit concerned when I talked to my mom. It appears that Thurston, Grays Harbor, and Kitsap Counties saw the brunt of it. My mom said that in some places, water rose as much as eight feet in a matter of minutes!!

Miraculously, Pierce County didn't experience any flooding. I don't quite understand this, because the base at Crystal Mountain fell so quickly, and I think a lot of that run-off drains into the Puyallup...hmmm...

My uncle, who lives in Aberdeen, was able to get out to Copalis to get my grandmother before the highway washed out. And most of the farmland in Elma, where I have family, is under feet of water. And I have more family in Centralia, whose 5th-wheel was floating across their yard...pretty scary!!

As for the property you mentioned, I think I'd stick to living on the hill!!!

Audrey said...

Luke and I looked at places in Quilcene to buy a few years back, but they all turned out to be in the flood plain of the Big Quilcene River. It was hard to pass up at least one of the houses since it was a nice custom built house, but knowing what we know about river dynamics we just couldn't put ourselves into that position. Even a hill side can be dangerous--landslides, or water running down the hillside (like in one of your pictures) can flood a structure if it is in the path of least resistance for all that water. I lived through a flood event in Colorado where a friend and neighbors got flooded out even though their places were on the side of a hill just because of mass amounts of runoff. I was fortunate that my ground level apartment was on somewhat level ground yet just barely high enough to escape encroaching waters. Buildings only 150 ft away were submerged thigh deep. That turned out to be a deadly flood--five people died from it only two miles from where I lived. I felt fortunate in many ways to escape unharmed and belongings intact.

Glad you are safe too.