Thursday, February 14, 2008

Home is where the heart is

We decided to stay home this year for Valentine's Day. I briefly tried to talk Gerry into going out for an early dinner, but Gerry talked me into staying in for a home cooked dinner. I think it was probably a good decision considering we'd probably have been fighting crowds, and with a tired little boy too (Reed only had one nap today and usually still needs two).

Reed and I had a wonderful afternoon yesterday! We'd been busy running errands all day and I'd been wanting to get outside and do some gardening. Finally, when Reed got up from his afternoon nap at 4:30, I noticed it was still nice and we still had sufficient sunlight (hooray for the days getting longer!) so we got bundled up and out we went! It's been such an awful winter that Reed really hasn't spent much time outside lately. He had tough time toddling on the deep grass and moss, but at least his landings were cushy. He let me stay out long enough to clean up all of last year's growth from our daylilies and irises. When I was done, he started pointing toward the house. I told him to lead me where he wanted to go. He walked right up the path, crawled up the stairs and pointed at the door. To my disappointment, he was done with outside time.

Reed and I also got invited to our first playgroup which we attended on Tuesday. It was great to see him interact with the other kids. There were 5 other kids there and three of them were within a month or so of Reed's age which made it even more fun. The best part about it is, that this playgroup led me to find out about an attachment parenting online forum for Kitsap county. Through this forum I'm beginning to find more local, like-minded parents which makes me feel a heck of a lot less isolated!

I've also been seeking a daycare for Reed and happily, have finally found one. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of putting him in somebody else's care, but when I found the right place, I suddently felt a lot better. It's an in-home daycare and the instant I walked in, I felt at home. This was the first daycare in several I'd visited, that did not have the TV on when I came in (nor has it been on in subsequent visits). That's just the first of many things that fit our parenting style. So Reed begins next week. I'll keep you updated on how he does, and how I do (this may be nearly as traumatic for me as him!)

A week or so ago, Gerry installed a new glass shower door in our bathroom. No more ratty old shower curtain. Woohoo! Ever the little helper, Reed held on to Daddy's level until he needed it. (Reed looks tiny in this picture to me. Either it's the angle, or I have no concept of how big my child is.)
Just another cute picture from our shower door installation.
Happy Valentine's Day!!!

No comments: